Thursday, August 20, 2015

Presto Pesto Tart

It's a lovely, rainy day in south Texas!  This recipe is one of many given to me by my grandmother, who we affectionately refer to as Abuelita.

I would not categorize myself as a foodie, but I do love food!  Any sort of baking or cooking skills I possess are due, in large part, to having my grandmother's example growing up.  She showed me how to take joy in preparing meals, and especially in baking!  It still serves as a stress reliever for me.

Here is the recipe for her Presto Pesto Tart (one of my favorites):

You will need:

1 15 oz pie crust (I use Pillsbury)
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise (using them without the seeds is preferred)
½ c mayonnaise
2 tbsp Pesto
¼ c Parmesan cheese
½ tsp black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

After allowing pie crust to thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes, place it on a pizza pan or other oven proof item where it will lay flat.  Pick the crust with a fork all over and bake it for 8 minutes. 
Here is the pie crust after it has baked for 8 minutes.
Sprinkle ½ c mozzarella cheese on the warm crust and let it cool 10 minutes.


Next, arrange the sliced tomatoes over the cheese.

In a bowl, mix the remaining mozzarella cheese with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.  Spread over the tomato slices (if a spoon does not work well, your fingers will do it justice!).
Presto Pesto Tart- a delicious and simple recipe (this is what it looks like before oven time)!


Reduce oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve.  Serves between 8-12, and goes really well with a salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment